Accessories are known for spicing up looks, and handbags do just that. With the right handbag, your looks could go from a 5 to a 100. If you are looking for black owned brands with the perfect handbags, this list is for you.
- Telfar: Telfar is a popular black-owned brand founded by designer Telfar Clemens in 2005. It is known for its iconic "Shopping Bag," among other unisex handbags in various sizes and colors. Their bags are between $200-$7000.
- Brother Vellies: Brother Vellies, founded by Aurora James, is a sustainable accessories brand that includes handbags. The brand was founded in 2013 selling from $200. Their handcrafted bags are made using traditional African techniques and materials, creating beautiful and ethically made pieces.
- Olori: Olori is a luxury handbag brand founded by Tomide Awe, in 2017. The brand celebrates Nigerian culture through its designs and incorporates vibrant African prints and textures into its handbags. You can select from the different bags, including shoulder bags from $198.
- Brandon Blackwood: Brandon Blackwood is of Jamaican and Chinese descent. He started the brand in 2015. There, he is known for contemporary handbag brands with sleek and minimalist designs. The brand offers a range of handbags, including totes, crossbody bags, and clutches, with a focus on quality craftsmanship. Handbag prices start from $80.
- Matte: Matte is a black-owned luxury handbag brand founded by Briana Wilson. She started in 2014 making bodysuits and bathing suits. Their handbags feature bold colors and patterns, and they often collaborate with artists and designers to create unique and eye-catching pieces.
- Love, Cortnie: Love, Cortnie is a handbag brand founded by Cortnie Elizabeth. She started as a self taught seamstress in 2011 by sewing scrap pieces together. Their bags are handmade in the United States and feature vibrant colors, playful patterns, and unique textures. The prices range from $170 and above.
- Zashadu: Zashadu is a luxury handbag brand, started by Zainab Ashadu in Nigeria. The brand which has started since 2010, combines traditional African techniques with modern design to create unique and sophisticated bags. Zashadu uses ethically sourced materials and employs local artisans. Clutches of $60 to day bags of $265.
- AAKS: AAKS is a Ghanaian brand that specializes in handcrafted woven bags. The brand was founded by Akosua Afriyie-Kumi in 2014. Her goal was to introduce the world to her favorite weaving techniques by the women of Ghana. The prices begin from $130 and are made using traditional weaving techniques, featuring vibrant colors and intricate patterns.
- Kintu New York: Kintu New York is a luxury handmade bag started by Sarah Nakintu. Sarah started this black-owned brand in 2015 to offer elegant and minimalist handbags. Their designs are timeless and versatile, using high-quality materials and craftsmanship. Her prices range from $88 and above.
- Christopher John Rogers: He started making marks since he graduated in 2016 from Savannah College of Art and Design. While primarily known for his fashion designs, Christopher John Rogers also offers a range of colorful handbags. His designs are bold, vibrant, and often incorporate unique shapes and materials.
- Andrea Iyamah: Andrea Iyamah is a Nigerian-owned brand by Dumebi Andrea Iyamah, which started in 2011. She offers a range of stylish handbags. The brand combines African-inspired prints and vibrant colors to create statement pieces that celebrate individuality and cultural heritage. Her bags are priced from $520.
- Mateo New York: Mateo New York is a fine jewelry and handbag brand founded by Matthew Harris in March 2009. He initially started producing solely for men but added women's jewelry in 2014. The brand's handbags are crafted with exquisite attention to detail, featuring clean lines and luxurious materials that elevate any outfit. You can get bags for as low as $195.
- Khirma New York: Khirma Eliazov, the founder of Khirma New York is an editor-turned-stylist. She started creating luxury handbags in 2009, with an emphasis on exotic skins and intricate details. Her designs have been worn by celebrities and featured in prestigious fashion publications. There are various options to choose from, including a walnut bag of $45.
- Fe Noel: Fe Noel, created in 2011 by Felisha Noel, is a luxury fashion brand that features handbags among its offerings. The brand combines hand woven and crocheted bags with bold prints, vibrant colors to create sustainable designs. Bags are offered from as low as $45.
- Cushnie: After parting ways with her business partner Michelle Ochs in 2014, Carly Cushnie adds handbags with sophisticated top-handles to her collections. Cushnie's bags often feature sleek and clean designs, reflecting the overall aesthetic of the brand. You can get a bag from as low as $152 to as high as $1,595.
Going through this list, you have seen the different brands that offer luxurious handbags with cultural diversity and affordability. Let us know know which brand is your favorite in the comments below.