When discussing the future of fashion, we cannot overlook activewear— generating over $181 billion in 2019 with a $7 billion increase in 2023—need we say more?
The activewear industry is large and only growing. Read on and get to know these 12 Black-owned athleisure and sneaker brands to add to your sportswear collection this year.
1. Eleven by Venus Williams An athleisure line for athletes created by the tennis G.O.A.T. Eleven is not only great for high intensity workouts, but the design elements are unique and high energy.
3. Melt Fit Founded by Ashley Garner and based out of Detroit, Michigan, Melt Fit is known for its size inclusivity and whimsical-themed designs
4. Solely Fit Designed for the fashion forward performer, Solely Fit is created by Stefania Okolie, specializing in high-functional bodysuits, sports bras, and biker shorts.
5. Glamourina Kia Philips and Nekol Gaskins built an athleisure brand that stands the test of time with two layers of high-quality compression in the leggings—you can count on this line for any sports or workout activity.
6. Shaneik Apparel and Footwear With a range of men and women’s athletic sneakers, Shaneik Apparel encourages customers to lead a healthy active lifestyle. Their sneakers are handmade with lightweight resilient foam created to withstand high intensity workouts.
7. Aktive Fitness Made with black women in mind, Aktive fitness is founded by
Kyyla Rene with the focus on building healthy lifestyles for the black community. The brand also provides meal and fitness brands to customers.
8. Nagast Footwear Inspired by Marcus Garvey, Tarik Edmonson created Nagast Footwear Brand to empower black men and women to live a healthy lifestyle. The African Runner shoe is made for every runner at any level.
9. Full Court Sport Production designer Marguerite Wade formed Full Court Sport as a tennis based activewear brand. The activewear is great for outside sports and not to mention incredibly fashionable.
10. Negash Apparel and Footwear Founded by Rocklin Negash, Negash translates to “heir to the throne”. With an emphasis on sneakers, the brand releases limited edition luxury active footwear each season.
11. Lukafit Known for “squat proof” material Mbali Ndlovu created Lukafit to include sizes 3X in leggings and 2X in sports bras.
Jeffrey Alan Henderson was a designer and engineer for Nike and Yeezy before he created Ninety-Nine. Made for runners at all levels, the shoes are made with hyper responsive technology.
Photos courtesy of Eleven, Aktive Fitness, Lukafit, and Roam Loud.